Our Family

Our Family

Friday, May 20, 2011

Pets...maybe not for us

Well, I have been slacking on the blogging.

Our biggest adventure with the boys, or really just Alec, was the new pet or pets.

Last Friday, we found a box turtle in the middle of the road in our neighborhood while the boys and I were walking. The school bus was coming so I picked it up and put it in the stroller. We had been contemplating getting Alec a pet for sometime and I thought, this might be a good, low maintenance one. So we brought him home and researched a little bit about him. He was just a male box turtle...nothing too scary. We made him a box to live in. I tried to get Alec to name him but he just wanted to call him turtle so Andrew named him Murtle the Turtle. We would get him out to roam in the yard but really Alec was a little scared of him and he of Alec. I really felt bad for the guy and thought he would be way happier if we let him go. Alec started talking about getting a fish so I told him if we could let Murtle go (we only had him 5 days), we would get a fish. He tried the whole....but I want 2 pets...and went back and forth about it. So, I decided to take him to Pet Palace and look around. I asked the guy if they had turtles and he said it's illegal to sale them in TN....because they carry Salmonella. Well, that was the kicker for me....Murtle would be set free today.

We looked around at all the reptiles...lizards, snakes. All of which he wanted....but I of course would not go for in million years. The pet guy tried to convience me that a snake would be a good option...or maybe a rat.....no way!

So I talked Alec into a beta fish...pretty, easy, and cheap. Sounded good to me. He came in a cup that had a hole in the top. On the way home I had to keep reminding Alec not to touch him to which he responded "he wants me to pet him". I should have known then.
When we got home, Alec noticed that Murtle had escaped his box outside (with moms help). But he was okay, only a little fake crying. He had a new fish (it was all part of the plan).

We got him all set up in his bowl. Alec said he looks like Nemo and that would be his name. Alec wanted to leave him in the living room so everyone would see him he said. Well today when I went to lay Anderson down for his nap, Alec had his way with Nemo. I caught him elbow deep in the bowl.

Now, an hour later, I noticed poor Nemo is not moving.....rest his soul.

I guess we will put having pets on hold. Well Alec is up from nap...time to break the news to him.

Here is a picture of Alec and his Turtle. I would post a picture of our fish...but he was not alive long enough for me to get one:(

Update: I told Alec about the fish. He showed no remorse...just wanted to be the one to flush him down the toilet. Now he just reached in the tank, saying "come here little fella" and grabbed him. He brought him to me, said "touch him, he's dead". Then he walked him to the bathroom by himself saying "I need to get other pet" and flushed him down the toilet. Oh boy....

1 comment:

  1. Love it!! What a great story. Looking forward to the adventures of a big boy like Alec.

    ReplyDelete